I work as Senior Staff Software Engineer - Network Systems at ServiceNow. It's a new enough role that I don't have many details to share yet.
I have picked up numerous skills in the last 15+ years. Some of them I use to this day and others have been dormant in recent times.
- Evangelized cloud-native technologies across business units. Presented in BU All-Hands in March 2021.
- Team lead of SRE, QA and NOC teams.
- Created annual budgets for team needs.
- Represented team in cross-functional management meetings for product and architecture design.
- Participated in hiring process, including phone screens and in-person interviews.
- Resolved team member issues before they needed to be escalated to upper management.
SRE / DevOps
- Created production SaaS infrastructure on Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure with Kubernetes, Helm, Istio, ArgoCD, Docker, Python, Terraform, Ansible, and nginx.
- Created system observability with ElasticStack (EFK), Prometheus, WaveFront, New Relic, and VMware Log Insight.
- Migrated production and development environments from AWS ECS to AWS EKS.
- Created Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) pipelines with Jenkins.
- Created test infrastructure with Linux, Docker, Jenkins, and Vagrant.
- Created Ansible roles and playbooks to automate Linux and FreeBSD.
- Created Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, and Metricbeat stack for application and infrastructure logging.
- Built Virtualbox and VMware images with Packer.
- Participated in audit and compliance activities.
- Participated in on-call rotation.
Test Automation and Quality Assurance (QA)
- Extensive experience in test automation with Python (especially pytest) and manual testing.
- Performed QA of platform running onboard aircraft and in ground data centers with Python (development), Apache Qpid (messaging), MongoDB & OrientDB (data stores), and REST APIs.
- Developed Python automation for SIP, ICAP, and Diameter tests on BIG-IP LTM.
- Tested Microsoft Hyper-V plug-in for EMC Avamar, EMC DataDomain, and EMC NetWorker.
- Conducted SIP interop testing with 40+ global telecom carriers.
- Created test plans and test cases in Confluence & ApTest.
- Conducted build verification, functional, integration, regression, performance, and longevity/soak testing.
- Handled customer escalations, reproduced customer issues in detail and verified fixes.
- Reported defects in JIRA & Bugzilla and tracked them to resolution.
- Created CI/CD pipeline with ArgoCD and Jenkins.
- Created sprint releases (CD) and releases to customer.
- Created build system with Python, bash, and make.
- Created artifact promotion workflow.
- Extensively used and tested Hyper-V: 2012 R2, 2012, 2008 R2; SCVMM 2012 R2, 2012, 2008 R2. Installed, configured, and maintained standalone and cluster (CSV, SMB) configurations.
- Installed, configured, and maintained standalone VMware: ESXi 5.1, 5.0, 4.0; vCenter Server 5.1, 5.0.
- Learning QEMU and KVM in my home lab.
Scalability and Performance
- Ran performance testing on 8-node Microsoft Hyper-V 2012 CSV cluster.
- Conducted pre-production performance and scalability reviews of new releases of Cirrus Softswitch for VoIP.
- Migrated legacy data into Data Warehouse for Electus Voter Registration and Election Management for Colorado and Wyoming with Oracle 10g, Oracle Warehouse Builder, and TOAD for Oracle from text files and Microsoft SQL Server 2000/2005 using DTS and SSIS.
- Worked in depth with Microsoft SQL Server 2005, PostgreSQL 9.2, MySQL 5, and Oracle 9.
- Installed and maintained DB servers.
- Wrote tons of SQL queries and stored procedures, large and small.
Networks and Security
- Worked with IPv4, IPv6, and dual stack configurations.
- Comfortable with IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP, and subnets.
- Worked with ICAP and Diameter protocols.
- Installed, configured, and managed pfSense firewall.
- Configured Cisco and Brocade Ethernet switches, including VLANs and port mirroring.
Voice over IP (VoIP)
- Extensive working experience with SIP and RTP.
- Planned, installed, maintained, and troubleshot SIP-based telephony network.
- Worked with Wireshark, SIPp, Kamailio, Asterisk, FreeSWITCH, pjsua.
- Proficient in various versions of Linux and Windows.
- Linux: Ubuntu, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, openSUSE, Debian, Fedora.
- Windows Server: 2012 R2, 2012, 2008 R2, 2003.
- Windows Client: 8.1, 8, 7, XP.
- macOS (OS X) user since 2006.
- Learning FreeBSD and OpenBSD in my home lab.
- Code review
- Review Board
- Quality Center
- Fluent in written and verbal communication in English and Urdu.